Sunday 13 March 2011

FEBRUARY 2011


February has passed in a whirl of activities so my apologies again for missing a month’s entries!
I was invited by a group of ladies in Valley to give my presentation on Llyn Cerrig Bach. They were very interested in the subject, as the lake is right on their doorstep. They particularly enjoyed handling the replica of the Gang Chain, as you can see from the picture.
Having had to hand over to the Oriel, over a year ago, the funding I’d collected for producing more replicas, I am still anxiously waiting for the good news that perhaps some of them have finally been made. It will be a great thrill for me when this happens, as I know from visiting various schools, how much the children like to examine replicas, rather than seeing an untouchable original.


I became very concerned when I saw that the roadside wall in front of the Pencarnisiog commemorative standing stone had collapsed. This is known locally in Welsh as Maen Hir. I contacted our Cadw warden for this area and she came over immediately. However, since its on private land she can only express our concern to the landowner. Hopefully, he will get the wall rebuilt as soon as possible. This is a very important stone as there is a Roman style inscription on it to Cunugusus – CYNGVSIHICIACIT. This is from where the name of the village Pencarnisiog derives.


I had a very interesting visit from Mark, a mature student at Bangor University. He is on his final year and doing research into comparing votive offerings into such watery places as Llyn Cerrig Bach. He was very interested in some seismic maps I had been given by Dr. Phillip McDonald when he was a research student at Cardiff in 1995. I e-mailed Philip, who is now a lecturer at Belfast University, and he kindly gave me permission to forward copies to Mark. I am looking forward now to reading his final paper.
Like many others, Mark expressed his appreciation of being told so many personal background facts that I’d researched and been told by my father about Llyn Cerrig Bach.
I have decided, therefore, that I should take the step forward into filming a DVD of my lecture presentation. When I become too decrepit to voice the lecture, or even when I’ve popped my clogs, at least this information won’t be lost!


Rhys Mwyn, who writes an article each Wednesday in the Welsh Herald section of the Daily Post, asked if he could visit me. He wanted to write a column about what I knew about Llyn Cerrig Bach. We visited the lake and had a long chat. I was very interested when he showed me excellent replicas of Bronze Age tools that Dave Chapman had made in his foundry in the Conwy valley.


A fortnight ago, my husband and I visited the Tutankhamun Replicas exhibition at Manchester. Because of so many visitors in the museum when we visited Cairo, we had failed to get in to see the originals. However, the replicas were as good as the real things and so easy to observe at close quarters. I’m sure we gained much more experience from this visit than we would have had in Cairo looking over other peoples’ shoulders and being made to move along all the time. Here, we were able to browse and take as many pictures as we liked. I was fascinated with the tomb chariot, noticing especially that there was a plaque similar to the Llyn Cerrig Bach one, attached to its shaft, as you can see in the picture I took. I couldn’t help noticing also other similarities with the chariot’s form and its wheel hub. All these things in spite of it being made in Egypt over a thousand years before the chariot parts found in Llyn Cerrig Bach.