Wednesday 7 November 2012

OCTOBER

Here I am again, a week into November before writing my monthly blog. It has still been such a busy time for me during the last few weeks, continuing twice weekly the workshops with primary school children.I've had immense pleasure and in all 600 children have attended up to last week. Sadly, the exhibition closes this coming Sunday afternoon and the artefacts return to the National Museum in Cardiff. I shall be watching them leaving with a box of tissues near me!

I thoroughly enjoyed the weekly evening lectures given at the Oriel, which were based on various aspects of Llyn Cerrig Bach. One that was particulary interesting to me was by Dave Chapman of Ancient Arts, Conwy Valley. Dave explained how he had produced the replicas of the iron artefacts. He had made them as they would have been when they were depoisted in Llyn Cerrig Bach. I felt proud that I had initiated their making by collecting nearly £5,000 in donations and grateful to Anglesey County Council for topping it up. Dave kindly presnted me with a signed copy of the booklet he's produced on them.
Here we have Dave testing a spear he has completed and also two links of the gang chain. These have been, like the others, invaluable in the workshops.

 
I've also given my presentation talk at the Oriel a number of times and its been a pleasure seeing so many interested in the island's heritage.

 
I was approached by an S4C film company " Cwmni Da" to take part in a series of three documentaries they are filming, which will be shown next March. I did a reiki with the producer one day and she decided that rather than filming me relating my story by Llyn Cerrig Bach, she would like to film it on the Anglesey Golf Course. This is where my father was head-hunted from by the MOD to be Head Groundsman in order to build the runway extensions for the American bombers. They had noticed over the fence that there was someone who could master the sandy ground they were having trouble with. Even Winston Churchill had remarked that Valley had two enemies, namely the Germans and SAND ( he had written it in capitals also)!
 
I arrived on the day of the filming, to be told I had to drive a buggy over a bridge across a river, stopping to pick up the interviewer on the way! you can see from the picture how shocked I was.
 
 
Thankfully, the crew were a good crowd and Dewi Prysor and myself got on famously. I agreed to drive the buggy up to Dewi, but for him then to take over the driving and take it over the bridge. Needless to say, we had such good laughs and enjoyed the morning so much. I'm looking forward to seeing the result in March!
 
As most of you know by now, I'm a member of Anglesey/ Ynys Môn U3A since 15 years and like to promote its virtues. Every October we have a Study Day. Each U3A in North Wales has the opportunity to be its host. his year it was held at Theatr Clwyd by Wrexham U3A. We had a variety of interesting lectures, but what I enjoy also is the opportuniyt to mix with members from other U3As. The highlight for me though was discovering that Peryn Clement Evans from Ensemble Cymru was speaking on "Giving a Voice to Wales' Musical Heritage". My friend Marion and I have been attending most of the recitals he and his talented friends have been giving at the Ucheldre Arts Centre in Holyhead. Do look him up on-line and view his itinerary.


All these pictures with nice young men must be making my husband jealous by now!

Finishing on a family note, Delyth my eldest daughter was 50 last week and Dominic and her actually became engaged after 18 years! We had a family party at home followed by a surprise party for her and her friends in the Oyster Catcher's function room. It was a fantastic evening. Two pictures - Delyth with Shula her daughter (with Shula's boyfriend inbetween) and me with Rhys, whom some of you will know I'm sure.
 


 
As I mentioned, don't forget to visit the Llyn Cerrig Bach exhibition before Monday. After that, you will have to travel to Cardiff to see them.