Wednesday 5 December 2012

NOVEMBER 2012

There was a sad beginning to the month for me, as the wonderful Llyn Cerrig Bach exhibition came to an end on Novembe 11th. I was there to see it being dismantled - a completely different emotion to the afternoon I saw them arrive on July 13th! It has been such a wonderful busy time for me. We had 30,668 people viewing the exhibition and Ceri, Oriel Môn's education officer and myself conducted workshops for 700 school children. It seems that it has been the best attended exhibition since Oriel Ynys Môn opened 20 years ago.
As you can see, I was very reluctant to let the gang chain to be taken through the door by Adam Gwilt and Evan Chapman! Evan seems to be saying "come on Eflyn - let go!


However, life went on, thankfully by means of the replicas that had now been produced. The children of Henblas School on Anglesey had a special day when they came and took over certain areas of the museum. Since they had been to the workshop on Llyn Cerrig Bach, they had an excellent knowledge about the artefacts  The general public and various societies were invited to attend and the children, by means of handling the replicas,  explained to them how the artefacts would have been used 2,000 years ago. This is exactly what  had in mind when I campaigned for donations towards producing them about four years ago. My hope now is, that many schools will be able to take advantage of these replica when they study this period in the curriculum.

I gave my talk to two societies towards the end of November. One was in Llanfair P.G. -( Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerddychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - to give it its full name! ) The other was to the Holyhead Lions Society. Fortunately, many of them had been to see the exhibition at Oriel Môn.
As usual, I had borrowed the excellent gang chain replica. On the way back from Holyhead, Alan thought it would be a good idea to take a photo of me with it by Llyn Cerrig Bach.


This was because I will no longer be able to borrow it. I am vey pleased to say, that it has now been housed in the new cabinet that was purchaed to exhibit the original gang chain. It looks magnificant in its new home!


As do also, the original Llyn Cerrig Bach artefacts I have given on loan to Oriel Ynys Môn for its lifetime.


A group of us have been working really hard towards producing a new Anglesey Heritage website. Hopefully, by next month's blog, I may be in a position to give you info. on its launch.