Saturday 27 March 2010

Oriel Ynys Môn - Tomb Builders 4,000 - 3,000BC




Following our visit to Ysgol y Graig in the morning, for our afternoon session, I had organised a visit for the group to Oriel Ynys Môn. This was in order for them to have the opportunity to view the special exhibition that was on tour from The National Museum in Cardiff called “The Tomb Builders of Wales 4,000 – 3,000 BC”

-------
I had invited Mr. George Smith from the Gwynedd Archaeological Trust to give us the introductory talk. Pat West, the Oriel’s Principal, made an appeal to our age group for any memorabilia or written memories they could provide about their life on Anglesey during the Second World War years. These will be included in the Oriel’s next exhibition “Anglesey 1939 -1945 “ that begins on July 3rd.



---------------------
In one corner of the History Gallery are the original artefacts that I have loaned to the Oriel for its lifetime. These had been given originally by my father to the Wigwam Museum in Rhosneigr and then returned to the family when Miss Manning, the curator died. For many years they laid in a biscuit tin at the bottom of my wardrobe before I realised their significance!